Another Vegan Lunchbox

I want to start blogging my daughters' vegan lunches.. and maybe comment about issues with trying to raise a vegan kids etc.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Battle of the Lucky Charms

This weekend I found myself in the cereal aisle arguing with my nearly six year old daughter. She wants the cereal in the pretty box with the rainbow and the leprechaun on it. No - I say you can't have it. BUT daddy said I could. (Daddy said she could have cereal - not the specified cereal that has gelatin in it). For crying out loud Peta has a whole list of suitable cereals pick one of those. Well there it is - a forbidden fruit. And a driven little girl who is desiring what she cannot have. I have won the battle but not the war. I can't always be there to say no.. especially as she gets older. What have I done wrong that my precious little girl would want to eat bones on purpose?

Today's lunch... smartdeli turkey flavoured slices with crackers, peach flavoured soy yoghurt, mixed fruit cocktail and cookies. And to drink a minute-maid apple juice.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Gizmo said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kalani said…

    Hiya! I love the idea of this. I always have a hard time finding food for my daughter's lunch and we aren't even vegan. It's a battle for me just to get the family to go vegetarian. Slow but sure has been my motto.

    Golden Oreos are vegan depending are where they were made. And what kid doesn't love Oreos?

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Slytherin Chick said…

    I think it may be hard for her to see those icky flourescent things as once being part animal. I can't even imagine how tough it would be to raise a veggie/vegan child. all you can do is keep doing your best!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Snipsnap said…

    Maybe she would like Trix instead. (I know, you probably already tried that approach. Kids are picky.)

    I agree with a previous commentor who said that she probably has a problem with viewing marshmallows as an animal product.

    If this continues to be a problem (ie she keeps wanting non-vegan foods and you continue to say no, but she keeps wanting them) I would give in a little bit. It is better for her to have some non-vegan foods now than to resent you for it and reject the entire lifestyle when she gets older.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home