Another Vegan Lunchbox

I want to start blogging my daughters' vegan lunches.. and maybe comment about issues with trying to raise a vegan kids etc.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

October 13, 2005

I let lil scooby pick out what she wanted for lunch today thus it is sort of a hodge-podge of things. She had 2 - 1/2 smartdogs in blankets. She had a cup of peanut butter with about 8-10 baby carrots for dipping. She had a baggy of grapes. And a couple of olives - she wanted some on the side today because she so loved her sandwich yesterday. She also had some sliced peaches and raisins. And an apple-grape minute maid. Yeah I warned you it was a bit of a hodge-podge. Sorry no picture.

If ya'll don't know I am extremely Anti-McDonalds. What McDonald's did is personal. I know they got sued and they paid their dues - though I did hear that the money they had to pay didn't even end up going to animals but various other not-for-profits. At any rate McDonald's didn't pay ME anything for tricking ME into eating dead animals for years when *I* was a child. As if ANY amount of money could make up for what they did. I know they have a disclaimer now that says something to the effect of "McDonalds makes no claim that any item on their menu is in any way vegetarian." Where was that label 14 years ago when I was a high school athlete having to eat freaking french fries to hold me over after a game or meet until I got home. Yeah its personal and my intense hatred of all things McDonald's is not going away.

Yesterday was McDonald's day at school. Which means a portion of the proceeds went to my daughter's school so they were advocating all the kids to tell their parents to take them to McDonalds. She had a little McDonald's bookmark that I made her throw away. "You are not allowed to have anything that says McDonalds on it" On the drive home I talked to her about did she know why. "Because McDonald's is evil and they kill animals and sell them for people to eat." I'm still thinking about how to explain why that answer was wrong. We eat at other fast food places and restaurants that 'kill animals and sell them to people to eat' so why is McDonalds a special case. Well other than the fact they don't sell anything even remotely vegetarian. So I'm working on that talk with her. I don't want my daughter brainwashed into believing stupid crap. I don't even know how much I can fight of it. Well that is why I have my blog huh.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Zedwheels said…

    Questions for Catherine Levene
    It's the first blog network with a vertical focus, and at first glance would appear to hold serious appeal for the marketers of apparel and accessories -- many of which have been reticent to jump into online ...
    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a web hosting site/blog.
    Covers web hosting related stuff.

    Come and check it out! :-)

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i understand the frustration with a McDonald's day at the school. it's like how *coke* gives schools money...after robbing it from the families for unhealthy...crap.

    however, i don't think the explanation of why McD's is bad was sufficient; in fact, it was untrue. they DO have vegetarian options; just not vegan --at least that i know of, but i don't exactly go there. furthermore it's important to not just talk about how well McD's is at providing for veggie or vegan consumers, but addressing the issues of health, cost (it's not that cheap for a family!), being a responsible employer, treatment of employees, pay, mostly WHITE, MALE managers, treatment of animals.
    this is important to empower your kids to educate others and have your own position firm and articulate for when you go talk to the school board about why "McD's day" isn't so great for the school.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger R-C said…

    McDonald's does not have vegetarian options no. They did recently introduce some fruit you know after they got sued for putting meat in their french fries so they could say hey look we have something that is vegetarian. Then they put their disclaimer that says that they don't guarantee anything that they serve to be vegetarian. Some McDonald's do serve Quorn burgers that are made with egg whites. But very few McDonald's carry this vegetarian (non-vegan) item so I don't think that counts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home