Another Vegan Lunchbox

I want to start blogging my daughters' vegan lunches.. and maybe comment about issues with trying to raise a vegan kids etc.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

October 5, 2005

I feel in the mood to talk about something different today. I guess with October and All Souls' Day coming up and everything I've been thinking about people that I've lost. People that it has greived me so dearly to go on living without. Buffy said to Dawn right before she sacrificed herself that dying is easy it is living that is the hard part. We all understand this truth at some point in our lives. I was thinking how long do we greive and how long does that pain last. Is it eternal? Surely I still grieve the loss of my grandmother over 20 years ago but life goes on. My daughter serves as a somewhat constant reminder in that she was named after my gramma (a beautiful old-fashioned name that has made a return in recent years). About 2 years ago my daughter's cat died. Lil scooby took the loss of her pet very hard. She cried incestantly for months. Even over a year later she would break out crying for no reason and when asked what was wrong she would say with tears running down her cheeks 'my cat died' well perfect mother that I am I was really getting frustrated with that. Enough already its time to get over the cat dying. Do we ever really get over loss? We find beauty in life and we go on living. But I think the loss is still there and we always hurt. And today its okay to cry for someone (our ca's included) who we lost 2 years ago or 20 years ago.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    My oldest girl has still not gotten over my father dying 3 1/2 years ago. She was only two at the time, but they were very close. According to her, he continued to visit her and they had conversations for months after he was gone. She doesn't cry much any more, but there are still occassions when she is crying for no apparent reason. When asked, it's always "I miss Papa".

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Callycearc said…

    My mum died over ten years ago, and I still miss her every day. Recently I have started having dreams about her again, when she gives me advice, and I find them very comforting. But I still cry about a cat I knew as a little girl, and that was thirty years ago. And my husband still cries about a cat who was murdered over forty years ago - they tied him to a firework, and burned him to death. Every now and then he remembers it and gets upset.

    It is natural and very loving of your daughter to care so much. You must be very proud of her.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Callycearc said…

    Hi Michael

    I'm sorry, I hadn't read your post. Your little girl sounds lovely too. My son never met my Granny, but the day she died he started crying in the shop saying "the old lady says "bye bye," (He was three at the time.) We got home to find that my Granny had unexpectedly died. So I believe your daughter when she says she had conversations with your father, since I think young children are more open and honest with their feelings. I hope this comforted you at the time.

    Maybe when she cries now it is because she is that bit older and she doesn't see him anymore. But he is still there for her. It is lovely that your and RC have such compassionate and lovely daughters.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home