Another Vegan Lunchbox

I want to start blogging my daughters' vegan lunches.. and maybe comment about issues with trying to raise a vegan kids etc.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Just a rant day....

This is not a lunchbox nor a school related blog.. doesn't really have anything to do with my little one. A coworker and I went to a vegetarian restaurant down the street from where I work that has in huge letters on top of the building where the name of the restaurant ought to be "VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT." These two women came in - looking for meat on the menu and said they couldn't believe there was no meat anywhere on the menu or buffet. They were being just loud and obnoxious.. I really wanted to say something to them.. you know like 'you bleeping retard did you not read the sign' well obviously they read the sign or else they wouldn't have came in acting the way they were. So I was already in a bad mood when I returned back to work yesterday afternoon.

Today we are having a Thanksgiving potluck. There won't be any turkey.. but I'm sure most of the dishes that will be prepared will have animal broths, cheese or butter at least in them if there isn't any 'meat'. I'd just rather not participate. So when I returned to work I was hassled about not wanting to have to cook for everybody else when nobody else will give a damn about what is there for me to eat. So I kind of got into with several of my coworkers who will now probably put unvegan stuff in whatever they make even if they hadn't planned to in the first place. I was asked about what I do to celebrate Thanksgiving? And what does my family eat? I had to defend our family's choice to eat tofurky. Well why do you have to eat something that is made to look and taste like a turkey and stuft like a turkey. Why do you have to do that? Why do you people always try to mimic your foods to look like ours. I AM so tired of hearing that kind of crap from people. Well for starters of all the holidays I've always hated Thanksgiving the most. As a vegetarian child I snubbed my nose at Thanksgiving and watched football on the tele while eating my cheese pizza. Only in the past ten years since I've been with my hubby and then raising our own child have I even began to sit aside one day a year to be thankful for the blessings in my life. Our extended family and friends are always welcome to share in a peaceful Thanksgiving meal with us. In the beginning we made homemade pastas stuft with spinach and our own sauces. It was a lot work but we were doing it in the name of making our own traditions. But I've come to learn that we don't have to eschew the Tofurky because it 'symbolizes' the sacrificed bird on other families tables. And we can eat a vegan apple pie or pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes, stuffing and gravy. We can be traditional or untraditional or whatever we choose as long as no animals were harmed in the process. And we can be thankful this year without celebrating the conquering of America and the genocide of so-called savage race.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Jacq said…

    Hi R-C,

    I made my own tofu and stuffing for Thanksgiving (in Canada we celebrate in October). I really don't like Tofurky but if you do that is great. We also had all the fixings and had a vegan pumpkin pie that was delicious. Enjoy your celebration and just tell your co-workers to stuff it! (pun intended) :)

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    LOVE the blog! I will have to link you!

    http://harmonia.blogsome.com

    :)

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger R-C said…

    Harmonia,
    I couldn't post on your site - here's what I was going to say:
    I saw a mushroom caviar http://www.recipecottage.com/vegetarian/mushroom-caviar.html that looks like it would be really good. Or you could bring olives, chickpeas. Maybe some seitan cubes on toothpicks. Are you going for toothpick foods (like cheese would be) or something that could be served in a dish?

    Thanks for linking to me by the way!

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I wonder why you couldn't post? Um....try again if you could. Thanks for the tips and links. Anything really...dips, fingerfoods, etc.

    I hope you can comment on my blog in the near future...I would love the feedback...maybe it was down. Not sure.

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger R-C said…

    harmonia - I got in! yay!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home