Another Vegan Lunchbox

I want to start blogging my daughters' vegan lunches.. and maybe comment about issues with trying to raise a vegan kids etc.

Friday, November 25, 2005

A Vegan Thanksgiving



Sometimes it is hard to see past all the dead turkey carcasses and pilgrims and Indians and the propaganda that surrounds this holiday and just be thankful for the blessings in our lives. This past year has been a rough one for our family. My daughter lost a grandmother at the beginning of the year. My own memories go back to 1979 to Sundays at my gramma's house where my aunts, uncles, and cousins would gather. And my grandmother's brothers and sisters and their children and grandchildren were all very likely to drop in after Church on a Sunday afternoon and stay for hours visiting. My grandmother got polio in 1907 and spent the whole of her life that she could remember unable to walk or run. By 1980, she was unable to get around by herself on her crutches or wheelchair and she came to live with my mom, my dad, my brother and myself. Sundays at Gramma's were suddenly sundays at our house. Gramma died in her sleep on an April day in 1985. That day my brother moved out of the house and it seemed I had lost the two people who I loved most. A house that had been so full of people was empty. My little heart broke as I walked into her bedroom and kissed her good-bye for the last time. No one holding my hand because I was too young to understand. Earlier this year, I held my five-year old's hand as she kissed her own grandmother good bye. I don't know if my daughter will remember her grandmother or not.. I've found that most people's memories don't go back as far as my own so probably not. The best that I can do is talk with her so that she can remember her memories and keep them fresh in her mind.
So here we are after very emotionaly rough year alive and healthy. My grandmother taught me to be thankful for the things that others take for granted - being able to run, walk and play. Everyday I try to teach my daughter that the people we love live on thru us and in us. In how we see the world and in turn make a difference in other people's lives. So this Thanksgiving we are thankful for our health, our family, our friends, and our jobs.

Lil' scooby and me pulling our tofurky jerky wishstix and making a wish for this year.











Our Thanksgiving Feast (this is not all the food.. we had some additional gravy, stuffing, and mashed potatoes but didn't need to have them out). We had a tofurky roast marinaded in orange juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar uh not exactly like how it says to do it on the box no, also baked and marinaded with the roast we had onions, potatoes and carrots. We had a stuffing made with no-chicken broth, mushroom and giblet gravy, vegan mashed potatoes, and a vegan pumpkin pie. We decided we had enough food and we'd leave making the apple pie until later. We also had the tofurky cranberry dumplings - but guess what I defrosted them and I couldn't find a single thing that said what to do should this happen. I obviously couldn't cook them according to the directions - so should this happen to you - I sauteed them over low heat in a frying pan until they were cooked thru and lightly browned on both sides... I lost some of the bread which stuck to the bag but overall they came out okay.








Here's wishing that you all had a peaceful, cruelty-free Thanksigiving.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said…

    And to you as well. Thank you for visiting me today. It is so nice to meet another vegan--especially around the holidays :)

     
  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    It's looking really great in here! Neat pics! Well, as for me...not everything was totally vegan but darn near. I think the major thing was some of the stuff mom mae had margarine in it. As always, I will jump back on and continue to try.
    :)

    I will be posting after I visit others today. You are my first visit of the day today!

    Thanks for the comments!

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger R-C said…

    Running2ks thanks for visiting my site - its nice to meet you too.

    Harmonia - No one struggles with the vegan thing more than I do. I've been lacto-ovo nearly all my life. The past ten years or so I've thought that being vegan was the right thing to do but just too hard. One day I had to say it may be hard but its not impossible and start working at it. I'm along ways from being perfect at it. I do the best I can though. I actually had someone write me to tell me that apple jacks aren't vegan (they are on Peta's accidently vegan list and a regular part of our diet) because they use different sources of sugar that are not always vegan. Well we all draw our line somewhere and me and my family are still eating apple jacks. I am vegan I don't eat meat, eggs, dairy, bones, tendons, blood etc and I actively avoid honey. Even the past couple of years that I've been working at being vegan I've been scared to call myself vegan because someone might find out I'm doing something wrong. Well I guess I wrote all this just to say that I commend you for your effort at living a vegan lifestyle.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    Wine & Cheese party is actually NEXT Saturday. I will let you know - thanks for checking...I am still pondering but will try that Nutritional Yeast Cheesy Sauce and maybe something else. Hope your day is going well.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    That is EXACTLY why I have been using the term loosely as well. I don't want to "lessen" what strict vegans do because I look up to them for being so educated. I like to say vegan-wannabe or aspiring vegan. LOL

    I totally understand what you mean.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home